Give your best customers more reasons to buy more of your product. Get them to put your product's best foot forward among their friends and neighbors. Using your already loyal customers to demonstrate to acquaintances how to prepare and serve your product can make huge strides toward attracting new customers.
That's a good bit of the logic and objectives behind the National Pork Board's new branding campaign -- Pork Be inspired. It's backed up by two years of market research striving to identify pork's best customers and quizzing folk in focus groups on what they want in pork.
Shift in focus
The Pork Be Inspired campaign builds on NPB's previous highly successful Pork the Other White Meat campaign.
"The other white meat campaign aimed at telling consumers we got the fat out," explains, Chris Novak, NPB CEO. "But without the fat, consumers can easily over cook pork products." Some tendency to over cook pork carries over from the trichinosis days.
"The Don't be blah campaign that NPB launched six years ago was designed to appeal to people who wanted some excitement in their meals," says Novak. "The Pork Be Inspired effort aims at getting existing customers to try new recipes – to try pork in new ways. Plus we're trying to inform all customers that if you cook pork correctly, it will be tender and juicy.
"Our consumer research shows us that our biggest fans will influence their neighbors and friends to try new pork recipes," says Novak.
Looking at the numbers
Quantities of pork various Americans consume vary widely.
"Our research shows that 28% of U.S. consumers eat 68% of the fresh pork that Americans prepare at home," says Ceci Snyder, NPB's vice president of marketing. The remaining 72% of Americans eat a relatively modest 32% of the fresh pork consumed at home.
"Further, those same 28% of Americans eat 50% of the pork eaten in restaurants," she says.
Round figures, 20% of U.S. pork goes into exports. Domestic consumption takes the other 80%.
NPB market research data show the food service industry accounts for 43% of domestic consumption. The remaining 57% of domestically consumed pork flows through retail grocery stores to be prepared at home. The at-home market is huge.
"The new brand focuses on reaching creative, flavor-seeking home cooks who already prepare, eat and love pork. The campaign celebrates pork's ability to offer a wide range of options in the kitchen," says Snyder. "It shows pork's place in almost any menu, cuisine and lifestyle based on pork's unique combination of flavor and versatility as the source of kitchen inspiration.
"Our research shows that pork's top consumers are looking for more than basic education. They're looking for inspiration," she adds. "While our new target audience represents our biggest fans, we believe they have the potential and desire to enjoy pork more often and to inspire others to do the same."
Watch for the campaign
NPB will launch a large media campaign in April and May to tell consumers we have new ideas for recipes – new inspiration.
Meanwhile consumers and producers can go to the Web site www.porkbeinspired.com. "There you will find 1,769 recipes to help consumers put something new on their plates at dinner time," says Leon Sheets, president of the Iowa Pork Producers Association.